Saturday, November 6, 2010

I died a little today

I told my daughter that I wanted to make sure we deep conditioned her hair tonight - it was a dry ratty mess and I have this "thing" about her walking around looking like her dad did her hair. I'm a GAY dad, dammit - her hair should be on point. So, this is no new thing - I have been doing her hair since forever. And I've come to enjoy it.

Today she asked me WHY. Why did I want to condition her hair. Um, because it's a dry ratty mess, that's why. So, she called me into the bathroom after she had brushed the conditioner through. And like we've done for going on eight years - I sat on the toilet running the wet comb through her hair making sure every bit of it was untangled ... while we talked. I like those moments while I condition and detangle her hair - we talk about things she thinks about and it's just OUR time.

She had her arms crossed over her chest today. And she kept trying to hide herself behind her arms. I kept wondering what the hell was wrong with her - and then it hit me. OMG - she's growing up. Yes, I understand she's been wearing a bra for the greater part of this year and that she's beginning to fill in those damn trainers. But she's still 8 and she's still my baby girl and I still do her hair!

But, I asked her - "baby, does it make you uncomfortable that I'm in here when you're naked?

"Well, yes."

"Oh - I'm sorry, honey. I can leave."

"ok."

As I left the bathroom, she said, "thank you."

"You're welcome, baby."

I came back to this here computer to ponder what had just happened - and that while I understood this moment in ethereal terms, it was always far off ... and it definitely wasn't TODAY. I sat in front of my computer and waited for her to get dressed and come on out of her room after she was done with her bath.

"Baby - I'm really sorry I was making you uncomfortable - I just didn't know."

"You're fine," she said as she walked off into the living room holding the stuffed snowman she can't sleep without.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad N stays naked all the time just on GP and we're all females... the day she kicks me out the bathroom is the day I DIE. DIE, you hear me? Just dead ass dead

    *weeps for you*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, thats what i have to look forward too in 2 years? Actually I am looking forward to it lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, man she's growing up and becoming her own person. You okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Children grow up one day they are babies then you turn around and they are adults

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww... that's so sweet and sad at the same time.

    Me? I'm waiting for the moment she says "Mother, it's my life!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaded: your response isn't helping!

    Dave: I cannot have looked forward to it. :(

    Bore: It's been veeerrryy different between us since then. I'm slowly accepting it.

    Berry: I'll never turn around, then!

    Irene: The "it's my life" line will get her scooped, I swear it!

    ReplyDelete