Sunday, June 27, 2010

Reevaluating again

You know, if one person blows you off - so be it. If two? Wow. But THREE? Clearly, I've got to take inventory of all things Alex and revamp. I can't tell you how emotionally draining today has, having dealt with the true colors that folks emanate on pride weekend. To some degree, I suppose I can understand being treated this way - I do indeed live two separate lives in two different cities ... and I choose to drop off from people's radar when I'm with the kids in parent mode. I own that, and clearly, it's come with consequences.

I think I expected people to be more understanding that one can safely expect friends to be. Perhaps it's a bit much to have a friend who disappears 1/3 of the time to a different city - well, not perhaps. Obviously. And I'm going to have to take a few steps back and just chill.

I had a rough week, I admit - My daughter had pottery camp at the Y in the next county, my son stayed at daycare near my house, the boy had karate after work on Monday and they both had swimming after work Tuesday and Thursday (all extra curriculars in the other county, where their momma lives.) To boot, we stayed out past 11PM on Wednesday to watch Toy Story and past 11PM on Thursday to watch Karate Kid - so, it was a full week. And I was drained.

But I drove to Chicago to enjoy pride weekend - and I didn't enjoy much of anything. Blown off of Friday, I dressed up my room instead, putting up curtains and putting on a new bedspread. I ran 9.5 miles on Saturday morning and then went to the pridefest festival with a bunch of people I didn't know. While it was cool to meet new people - I've got to say, it wasn't the same as enjoying the experience with friends. And it weighed on me.

Today was the parade - and I thought I'd see a potential date today ... he didn't call or text until after 5pm, saying he had a hellish afternoon and was just getting to the festivities. By that point, I was already drained, disappointed and damn near dead tired. So, I told him to have fun.

I accepted an invite from a friend of a friend to do the parade today - except the friend of MINE didn't seem too happy about it. Complained about now having to take an additional car, in fact (and I drive!) - so, after having accepted the invite, I bowed out. Who the hell wants to be somewhere he's not wanted?

In short - I'm going to take a step back and slowly distance myself from these friendships. Clearly, the problem lies with me. I've got to admit that the common denominator is MOI. And it seems I'm more of a nuisance than welcomed company - and I really do need to figure out why.

... and having slept 5 hours this afternoon isn't a good way to conduct this reassessment. I'll let you know how it all pans out.

3 comments:

  1. But why do YOU have to be the problem just because YOU are the common denominator? See, youre on this whole ALEX kick and being you...so why doesnt that mean cleaning out your entire closet? INCLUDING SHADY ASS FRIENDSHIPS TOO! See, it may just be easier now and a much needed wake up call to save ALEX while he's just making his way into this world before these so called "friends" aka ROADBLOCKS in disguise begin to work.


    Honestly, you were put here in this time and place to see something..and youve just been shown...but it does not mean it was shown to reflect an issue with you personally...but maybe a push to get that GET GONE SCOOPER and dump them in the SCREWED AND LOST TRASHCAN outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what that feels like, and you know I'm ready to drive by and kick some peoples asses whenever you are. Well, I mean, YOU have to drive and whatnot, but you know what I mean!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there's anything wrong with me Dovie - I am thinking the issue is how I have selected friendships. I'm still pensive about it and am running a healthy inventory of things. For however much I have overreacted, I'll own. For however much I was right, I'll head nod myself - and for however much was just my expecting too much, I'll accept.

    And for however much I have to drive Jaded around, I will.

    ReplyDelete