Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I did it!

On January 4, 2010, I quit smoking. Sometime in April, I signed up to raise $1200 for the AIDS Foundation of Chicago and run the Chicago Half Marathon. On Sunday, I crossed the finish line!

I trained all summer for this thing, taking four weeks off to do physical therapy on account of my knee fucking with me. But I did it - I did all my exercises and stretches and everything I needed to do to get back in it. And yet still, about mile 6, my knees ached. At mile 7 they bothered me. At mile 8 they officially hurt. At mile 9, I walked a lot more. From mile 10 - 11.5 ... I walked exclusively ... and then I just dug in deep and ran through the pain.

The course was beautiful, up Lake Shore Drive on Chicago's south side with a gorgeous view of the city and a perfect sunny, humidity-free day for running. My children were there cheering for everyone and waiting for me at the finish line ... and it was all just so fucking GREAT.

But I learned late in the race that all of my training, all of my fund raising, that entire race ... it was all about the last 2-300 yards to the finish line. I cannot explain the flurry of emotions I underwent as I approached the finish line. I screamed, I pumped my fists, I sobbed (but quickly got it together!) ... I felt proud, happy, glad my children were there ... I felt, EVERYTHING. For 2-300 yards. EVERYTHING.

And then I crossed the finish line, grabbed fists full of chocolate chip cookies and bananas (look, that's all they had!) and stuffed. my GOT-damn. face. Because, BBAABBBYYYY, I was hungry.


To anyone disabled by HIV and/or AIDS and relies on the AIDS Foundation for food, shelter, medicines and support ... I really had no idea what you go through. No idea. I'll gladly sign up again to do this again in 2011 ... and I'll be bringing people with me to fund raise and run.

To any reader who feels so led: here is my fund raising page. If it's a penny, we'll take it!

1 comment: